Since its founding over 50 years ago, GBCC has helped countless individuals in their time of need. Whether adjusting to the death of a loved one, dealing with unemployment, or just struggling with stressful times, the agency’s counselors have always been there for clients, lending a shoulder to cry on or a compassionate ear.
If your life is being negatively impacted by fear, anxiety, relationships or stress, GBCC may be for you. Our volunteer counselors and staff provide a unique environment that is:
- Ages. 18+
- Affordable. GBCC turns its back on no one. There are no co-pays and no set fees. Clients are asked to contribute what they can, if they can.
- Available. In most cases, there is little or no waiting list. Two counseling sessions are offered every Thursday, at 7 p.m. and 7:45 p.m.
- Welcoming. Our diverse group of counselors and staff don’t speak in acronyms and jargon, they just provide clients with the support and the real-life tools they need to find the solutions they seek. Our counselors listen and engage, rather than judge and analyze.
- Convenient. GBCC’s central location (across the street from UB’s South Campus) means it is just 20 minutes (or less) from the city, Amherst, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Lancaster, Lackawanna, etc.
- Effective. Past and current clients have described GBCC’s services as “wonderful,” “amazing,” “just what I needed,” and “a real life saver.” In fact, last year, close to 100% of our clients were happy with the help the agency provided them.
- Accessibility. Wheelchair accessible.
How We Do It: A Client-Centered Approach
GBCC’s counselors and staff utilize a client-centered approach that was introduced by psychologist Carl Rogers.
This “Rogerian” method’s principle idea is that clients know more about themselves then a counselor ever could, and it is up to the counselor to create an atmosphere in which clients can communicate their thoughts and feelings with certainty that they are being understood, not judged. Understanding that the people they are helping have a natural tendency toward growth, happiness, and self-actualization, GBCC’s counselors offer reflective listening, confident that the client will come to solutions on his/her own terms.
The agency’s commitment to helping others does not begin and end with the opening of its doors. If our services are not appropriate, or additional help is needed, our staff routinely provide referrals to other community services or organizations.
For more information on GBCC’s services or mission, or to set-up a pre-screening, just call us at 833-5993, or email by clicking here. If you feel this is an emergency situation, please call Crisis Services at 834-3131.